RE#4.2: SEMANTIC-BANK Q&A: Neither sh- or bat-scripts will finalize cleanly: SORTED!

From: Patrik Holmer <NNTP.psbh_at_telia.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:52:46 +0200

Stefano, Eric, Ryan et al, I've finally had some time to spend on my problem
with Semantic-Bank and been able to reproduce the errors I've encountered.

It mostly boils down to my method of testing:

A. Start at an initial state - always: A 'clean' OS-platform, with no
earlier test-installations
B. Install the required base software: In this regard, the latest Sun Java
JDK/JRE and Mozilla Firefox
C. Install the software for testing: Semantic-Bank-2.1.1 - following
instructions, step by step
D. Add the supplemental software: In this regard, the latest Sun Java and
Piggy Bank plug-ins for Firefox
E. Start or initialize the software for testing: "./semantic-bank.sh run
semantic-bank.properties src/rdf"
F. Try out the software for testing:
        F1. If the software works as expected: Make this the new initial
state
        F2. If the software doesn't works as expected: Return the test-bed
to it's initial state

FINDING 1: At item F2, this is where my method fails, regarding
Semantic-Bank! After initialization (E) of Semantic-Bank-2.1.1 and using the
latest Piggy Bank (2.0.1), the following happens: Feeding my localhost
Semantic Bank with data from the outside world, through the required Piggy
Bank, absolutely no 'Starting Points' will appear on the 'Semantic
Bank'-page, even when pressing Reload/Update in Firefox. I check the RDF:s
and repeat feeding the bank, still nothing is appearingly added to 'Starting
Points' the 'Semantic Bank'-page.

FINDING 2: After a few rides on the 'merry-go-around' above, I start
straying from my method of testing. I change the settings in the
'semantic-bank.properties'-file to '.MemoryConnector' in the 'Triple
Store'-section. Thus requiring me to re-register my Piggy Bank-account in an
all-memory resident Semantic-Bank. Again, nothing is appearingly added to
'Starting Points' on the 'Semantic Bank'-page. So, I return to the
'.NativeSesameConnector' in the 'semantic-bank.properties'-file and again
having to re-register my Piggy Bank-account. Sadly, by then, I give up and
return to my original method of testing!

FINDING 3 - The grammar version: Unlike 'Persist' - a disapproving verb,
'Perseverance' is a noun I should have heeded (to.) All that was required to
get both 'Browse Data by Tag' and 'Starting Points' going in my localhost
Semantic-Bank, was to press Ctrl+C and reload the script, in either the
XPP-cmd DOS-box or Linux bin/bash console-session. Thus, re-initializing the
localhost Semantic Bank, with updated RDF's, which I eventually did to,
finally, be awared with a fully functioning Semantic Bank. As depicted on
your web page.

FINDING 4: In my tests of Semantic Bank-2.1.1, I've come to understand that
pressing Reload/Update in Firefox 1.0.6 does reload the page and doesn't
requery the loaded RDF's. Thus, a re-initialization of the localhost
Semantic Bank is required to read any added RDF's in the 'src/rdf'-directory
of my Semantic Bank installation. If understood correctly, relying on Piggy
Bank to feed the Semantic bank is very Client/Server-based in a world of
distributed W3C-solutions. I can forget solutions as automating a load of
RDF's - backoffice-side - because of this circumstance.

FINDING 5: In a clean and updated MS Windows XPP, forcing an end of a
Semantic Bank Service (Process) in a XPP-cmd DOS-box - i.e. not Ctrl+C on
wait-state, wreaks havoc in that sessions DOS. Paths as 'C:\Program Files'
are replaced with 'C:\Progra~1', sending you into limbo trying to 'cd' into
displayed folders as 'C:\Program Files'.

CONCLUSION: Absolute misses and mis-conceptions, as above, will happen. So,
to gather a following of universal adopters, please provide more specific
instructions on the page http://simile.mit.edu/semantic-bank/install.html or
at least a basic README-file about the quirks-and-crannies in each
distribution of Piggy Bank and Semantic Bank.

In a final summary of the above, Semantic Bank work's, but it requires
insights not available in your public documentation. An installation of
Semantic-Bank should have taken me an odd hour and no more. Alas, with the
correct instructions.

// Patrik