RE: infoURI standard officially blessed

From: Hammond, Tony <T.Hammond_at_nature.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:20:18 -0000

Hiya Stefano:

Coupla things:

        1. The "info" FAQ is outdated. We had originally held out the candle
for non-resolution of info URIs, but with feedback realised that there was
no way of escaping this (ie, we couldn't outlaw dereference), and so already
in the previous draft (-03) we allowed that namespace authorities could
include resolution mechanisms within their registration record. (Think of it
as "hints" on how to deal with info URIs.)

        2. You are right that this is a URN type scheme. (A URN lite, in my
point of view.) Reasons for are: URN is just "one" particular URI scheme
(with baggage) - and the partitioning of URI space is as counter-productive
as that which was attempted earlier in trhe 20th c. with Ireland and then
later in India/Pakistan. There is _no_ difference between URI and URN. Pure
accident of history. ("History is a nightmare from which I am trying to
awaken." - says on writer.) (And, btw, don't misunderstand URN. There has
always been the notion to derefernce URN's. They are just not tied to a
given protocol.)

        3. Reasons for bunking off direct IETF regsiation (URI scheme or URN
namspace ID). Don't make me laugh. (I'll wet myself.) To paraphrase the
Clinton election program, "It's not the technology, stupid."

        4. The Interent is not build on the DNS. Period.

        5. Please do not confuse a simple hypermedia application (ie, the
Web) with information space. (If the Web wants to be ringfenced as such,
then the Web is not enough.)

        6. And most importantly, the real issue (for me). If everything
should be conducted through "http", then what point URI? And at athat point,
what point is the Web, bar a local application (which does .dot netty kinds
of things)?

Sorry, you got me on a Monday morning. Although it is sunny out. :) Always
an upside.

Cheers,

Tony

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS