RE: infoURI standard officially blessed

From: Hammond, Tony <T.Hammond_at_nature.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:40:46 -0000

Real sorry to bang on. But.

        1. Semantic web has nothing whatsoever to do with location. (Behave!
;)

        2. URN is only a sub-species of URI. (I.e. URN may be Neanderthal
man but there's a bunch of other hominids out there. Think Floresniensis -
http://www.nature.com/news/specials/flores/index.html.)

        3. URN (like any regular) URI is anyway still generally expected to
support dereference.

        4. URN is not bound to one transport protocol.

        5. INFO is just an alterate URI scheme - very much like URN but
differentiating itself therefrom - and again does not support one transport
protocol.

        6. Variety is good. I will certainly not support a cull to one
species of URI alone - 'http'. It makes no sense to the information
eco-system. Get real. Deal with it.

Cheers,

Tony

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS