Re: Public wiki?

From: Stéphane Laurière <slauriere_at_mandriva.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 02:00:44 +0100

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Stéphane Laurière wrote:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> Yes. In fact, it's a matter of removing the password to the
>>> existing wiki.
>>>
>>> I was also toying with the idea of installing WikiMedia instead
>>> of MoinMoin.
>>

>> Hello Stefano,
>>
>> what about using XWiki? http://www.xwiki.org
>>
>> XWiki features structured objects that can be attached to pages and
>> that makes it somehow "semantic" already.
>>
>> Active efforts are underway on following topics: - Eclipse plugins
>> for XWiki - RDF storage and indexing - P2P wiki - openoffice
>> integration - bundling XWiki services as OSGi bundles - advanced
>> wiki markup language model - ajax interface - standardizing wiki
>> APIs (http://www.wikisym.org/pipermail/wiki-standards/)
>>
>> -> there might exist interesting synergies with Simile
>> developments, I think
>

> The GPL license is a real turn off for us, I'm afraid as far as
> collaboration goes.

The license is about to get changed to LGPL. Would this help?

> As far as usage, either we go for a tool that is known to be used or
> we stay with the one is already installed. I don't see a reason to
> move to another wiki just because.
>
> I'm curious though, RDF storage and indexing is not mentioned
> anywhere in their page, can you say more about that?

This is about adding an RDF backend indeed for querying metadata of wiki
pages. This effort is still at research stage for now but we are likely
to have a prototype Q1 2006. I'll keep the list posted.

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
slauriere_at_mandriva.com