Re: Public wiki?

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:06:07 -0500

Stéphane Laurière wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Brett Zamir wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Any chance of starting a wiki open to the public?
>>

>> Yes. In fact, it's a matter of removing the password to the existing
>> wiki.
>>
>> I was also toying with the idea of installing WikiMedia instead of
>> MoinMoin.
>
> Hello Stefano,
>
> what about using XWiki? http://www.xwiki.org
>
> XWiki features structured objects that can be attached to pages and that
> makes it somehow "semantic" already.
>
> Active efforts are underway on following topics:
> - Eclipse plugins for XWiki
> - RDF storage and indexing
> - P2P wiki
> - openoffice integration
> - bundling XWiki services as OSGi bundles
> - advanced wiki markup language model
> - ajax interface
> - standardizing wiki APIs
> (http://www.wikisym.org/pipermail/wiki-standards/)
>
> -> there might exist interesting synergies with Simile developments, I
> think

The GPL license is a real turn off for us, I'm afraid as far as
collaboration goes.

As far as usage, either we go for a tool that is known to be used or we
stay with the one is already installed. I don't see a reason to move to
another wiki just because.

I'm curious though, RDF storage and indexing is not mentioned anywhere
in their page, can you say more about that?