Re: RDF DB Shootout: Preliminary Results

From: Vineet Sinha <vineet_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:23:46 -0500

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Looking at the tests, there seems to be no transaction control for the
> Jena tests. With JDBC, each operation will get an implicit transaction
> wrapper. This is bad for read access and very bad for update.
>
> public void startTransaction(/*=RepositoryType=*/Object/**/ repo) {}
>
> I don't have experience of using Derby or its JDBC driver but it does
> appear to support transactions so maybe it isn't a no-op. As triples
> are small, the transaction overhead can be more than the operation
> itself.

I remember running the transactions but not getting any differences. But
thanks for pointing it out.

I will run the tests again in about 2-3 weeks and post any updates.
Also, just to make more apples-to-apples comparison, I will also adding
both Jena-MySQL and Sesame-MySQL to the results.

If there are any other suggestions/contributions please let me know in
the next week or so, and I will be able to push things out in one go.

Also, thanks to Ian Davis for pointing out a bug...

> public void commitTransaction(/*=RepositoryType=*/Object/**/
> repo) {
> model.close();
> model = null;
> try { conn.close(); } catch (SQLException e) {}
> conn = null;
> getModel();
> }
>
> opening and closing models will achieve transaction effects but it's
> expensive. You shouldn't need to open and close connections - if there
> is some reason why this needs to be forced for Derby, I'd be interested
> in hearing about it. ...

This is unfortunately a limitation in the Jena-Derby driver. See
'issues' at http://people.csail.mit.edu/vineet/jena-derby.html

Vineet