RE: A bit of bomb throwing....

From: Prokopp, Christian <christian.prokopp_at_sap.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:35:07 +0800

Hi Zack,

I think you are on the wrong email list - seriously. You basically are telling universities to develop implementations (and consequently business models) for a new technology. AFAIK TBL developed (his part of) the WWW to exchange documents with his geeky friends not to develop the most successful, commercial, ubiquitous network ;o) As you pointed out the WWW took off because of Netscape, EBay and so on. They developed the applications for the masses and invested the money, they picked HTML and HTTP as their choice of technology. There was plenty of innovation around (e.g. connected mailbox servers etc.) - sure in hindsight it is easy to say 'Well it was supposed to happen this way'.
Also comparing WWW and semantic web is not fair as the WWW in its basic form is simple (excluding basic technology like TCP/IP, DNS, etc.) - the semantic web utterly complicated (still excluding previously named technologies).

I think SIMILE is doing a good job and I wish more projects would be so well organized and oriented towards a useful outcome. But to bring it to the market the industry has to step in - the universities do not have the expertise nor resources to do this job. Cooperative approaches are as close as it gets to your utopia but that again is initiated by the industry as the provider of funds. I for my part work for SAP Research and here you see the gap being bridged from the other side meeting projects, like SIMILE, half way. Companies do research too and pick up where universities leave if it is interesting enough.

Your frustration seems to be born out of the high hopes the semantic web sparks in many but you should realize it will take time if it ever happens. Contemplating about it is necessary but if done excessively a waste of energy. As mentioned before you should decide to either help develop the technologies (from either side of the gap), use something else or if you think neither will work for your problem then you might face a challenge which is unsolvable today.

Cheers,
Christian