Re: A bit of bomb throwing....

From: Zack Rosen <zack_at_civicspacelabs.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:59:36 -0800

> I think you are on the wrong email list - seriously. You basically
> are telling universities to develop implementations (and
> consequently business models) for a new technology.

Not the case. Im advocating that semantic web research be done
within established open-source communities meeting 'real-world' needs
of partners instead of in isolation as examples.

> AFAIK TBL developed (his part of) the WWW to exchange documents
> with his geeky friends not to develop the most successful,
> commercial, ubiquitous network ;o) As you pointed out the WWW took
> off because of Netscape, EBay and so on. They developed the
> applications for the masses and invested the money, they picked
> HTML and HTTP as their choice of technology. There was plenty of
> innovation around (e.g. connected mailbox servers etc.) - sure in
> hindsight it is easy to say 'Well it was supposed to happen this way'.
> Also comparing WWW and semantic web is not fair as the WWW in its
> basic form is simple (excluding basic technology like TCP/IP, DNS,
> etc.) - the semantic web utterly complicated (still excluding
> previously named technologies).

Yes, the semantic web is multitudes more complex which makes it all
the more difficult to gain external momentum.

> I think SIMILE is doing a good job and I wish more projects would
> be so well organized and oriented towards a useful outcome. But to
> bring it to the market the industry has to step in - the
> universities do not have the expertise nor resources to do this
> job. Cooperative approaches are as close as it gets to your utopia
> but that again is initiated by the industry as the provider of
> funds. I for my part work for SAP Research and here you see the gap
> being bridged from the other side meeting projects, like SIMILE,
> half way. Companies do research too and pick up where universities
> leave if it is interesting enough.

What is the path to industry adoption of semantic web technologies?
All I see are obstacles: threatened business models (such as SAPs')
stalling and early adopters (such as SalesForce) opting for the much
simpler and easier approach of REST API's.

I think the much more aligned and willing allies of the semantic web
are the tinkerer's: open-source developers and entrepreneurs. In
fact it is these people who are currently paving the way for
automated data-interchange on the web (RSS, microformats, etc).

> Your frustration seems to be born out of the high hopes the
> semantic web sparks in many but you should realize it will take
> time if it ever happens. Contemplating about it is necessary but if
> done excessively a waste of energy. As mentioned before you should
> decide to either help develop the technologies (from either side of
> the gap), use something else or if you think neither will work for
> your problem then you might face a challenge which is unsolvable
> today.

We are eight years down this path. It isn't working - at-least not
fast enough.

-Zack