CfP I-KNOW '06 Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies 2006

From: Mathias Lux <mlux_at_know-center.at>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:42:42 +0100

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call]

                                    AST '06

                      6th of September 2006 Graz, Austria
        I-KNOW '06 Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies 2006
                            http://www.i-know.at/ast

                                Call for Papers

Introduction

The I-KNOW '06 Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies addresses
the
emerging field of semantic technologies in knowledge management and
information
retrieval. Original papers are solicited and will be reviewed by a board
of
international experts.

Topics include but are not limited to:

* Retrieval based on knowledge organisation systems (KOS)
* Ontology powered information systems
* Ontologies and knowledge representation in applied knowledge
management
* Probabilistics in knowledge representation
* Ontology learning and extraction
* Modeling and retrieval of semantic metadata
* Semantic analysis of structured and unstructured data
* Knowledge discovery in the Semantic Web
* Semantic agent technologies

Submissions might also address applications of semantic technologies in
areas
such as knowledge management, competency management, workflow
management, search
engines, decision support, e-learning, healthcare, mobile and pervasive
computing or bioinformatics.

Background

The area of semantic technologies combines a series of hot topics: The
Semantic
Web, knowledge organization systems (KOS), agent technologies and
ontologies.
While the Semantic Web is based on a series of definitions and aims to
build a
new way of sharing and searching for information in the Internet,
knowledge
organization systems and ontologies allow the formal definition of
explicit
knowledge. Agent technologies benefit from the explicit knowledge
provided in
the semantic web through processing it for completing their programmed
tasks.

The areas of information retrieval and information systems find
themselves
facing new requirements: In information retrieval knowledge has to be
integrated
in the process of finding and ranking search results as well as in the
processes
of clustering and classifying information. Information systems aim to
include
ontologies for enhancing their results by using a knowledge base.

Within the Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies we aim to
bring
together researchers from different areas of semantic and knowledge
based
systems research to exchange experiences, present and talk about the
results of
their work and discuss hot topics.

Target Group

The topics mentioned above are addressed at researchers and developers
as well
as at innovative practitioners and providers in the fields of semantic
technologies. The special track will be held in English.

Submission Instructions and Procedure

Submissions should be handed in as full papers and should not exceed 8
pages.
Please use the I-KNOW style guides and submit your contribution in PDF
or MS
Word format. In case of problems or questions concerning the submission
of
papers , please contact the track chairs at ast_at_know-center.at.

Submissions, regardless of category, should include title, author(s),
abstract,
keywords, body, and references. Submissions are to be made
electronically in PDF
(Adobe's Portable Document Format) or MS Word format. Submissions are
treated as
confidential communications during the review process, so submission
does not
constitute public disclosure of any ideas therein. Submissions should
contain no
information or materials that will be proprietary or confidential at the
time of
publication, and should cite no publications that are proprietary or
confidential at the time of publication.

Important Dates

    * 3rd April 2006 Submission of the full paper (8 pages)
    * 22nd May 2006 Notification of acceptance
    * 26th June 2006 Camera ready paper (8 pages)
    * 6th September 2006 AST 2006 special track

Publication

Accepted papers will be published within the I-KNOW'06 conference
proceedings in
cooperation with J.UKM and Springer Co. Pub. At least one author of an
accepted
paper must register for the I-KNOW conference before the deadline for
camera-
ready-copies of the papers (26 June 2006). Otherwise the paper will not
be
published.

Conference Organization

The 6th International Conference on Knowledge Management (I-KNOW '06,
http://www.i-know.at) is organized by the Know-Center, Austria's
Competence
Center for knowledge management.

For further questions contact mlux_at_know-center.at.

DI Mathias Lux
Know-Center & Graz University of Technology, Austria
Institute for Knowledge Management (IWM)
Inffeldgasse 21a, 8010 Graz, Austria
Email : mlux_at_know-center.at
Tel: +43 316 873 9274 Fax: +43 316 873 9252