RE: A bit of bomb throwing....

From: Prokopp, Christian <christian.prokopp_at_sap.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:21:09 +0800

 "I'm not sure what your point was other than asking why Drupal /
Wordpress developers aren't developing semantic web technology
themselves. I think the conversations post in those logs are very
representative of the open-source web-app communities on a whole.
Drupal hackers are building upon the concepts of the semantic web but
they are not adopting the technologies (like RDF object store)
because it doesn't make sense for them to do so yet."
---
I do not see the problem - if it does not make sense to them why force
them.
"If you want the technology you are developing that implements the
concepts you've written papers about to see the light of day you have
to prove that it works and is useful. I would bet that the majority
of subscribers on this list and the researchers pursuing the semantic
web want semantic web technology to see the light of day and think
that it can.  The current problem is (as i've said numerous times)
the partners (industry / enterprise) this community of researchers is
relying on to adopt the concepts and implement them simply isn't
pulling through.  In the absence of an effective partner to deploy
semantic web technology solutions and prove the research works the
semantic web will remain.... research.   So I guess sitting around
talking about 'responsibility' waiting for enterprise adopters to
rescue you is one option but so far I don't think that has gotten the
semantic web much traction."
---
Your desire to see semantic web technology hit the market seems to me to
be much stronger than mine and likely others. I think we just have
opposite points of view. I believe in the (slightly) passive approach
giving everyone their freedom and you seem to be advocating a more
active approach in disseminating technology. Both valid ideas and I
doubt we will convince each other. :o)
Cheers,
Christian