Feedback to citeline

From: Peter Baumgartner <peter_baumgartner_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:12:21 -0400

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for you answer. I was a couple of day out of town and had not mail
access. I have copied the content of my two other mails here, so that we do
not have to process several different mails:

I will write between the lines:

> Von: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_MIT.EDU>
> Datum: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:40:18 -0700
> An: Peter Baumgartner <peter_baumgartner_at_mac.com>
> Cc: <citeline-lib_at_mit.edu>
> Betreff: Re: Feedback on Citeline
>
> Peter Baumgartner wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm busily testing your citeline service. I was intrigued by the
>> possibilities one has with facetted classification. But I came across
>> several problems:
>>
>> 1. Login with OpenID worked a week ago, but does not work anymore.
>
> Can you tell us more about this? What is your OpenID provider and what
> is the problem you are experiencing now?

My OpenID provider ist myopenid
http://peter.baumgartner.myopenid.com/

After entering my openID it takes my to the side of my provider, I can
choose - as always the identity and enter my password. After that it takes
me back to Citeline and says

" Failed to Sign in with your OpenID!

The OpenID sign in procedure returned an error:

Nonce verificaton failed.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

<http://citeline.mit.edu/#openid_failure?msg=Nonce%20verificaton%20failed.>

>> 2. For a sensible usage of the timeline feature the titles need to be
>> shortened (e.g. like it is done in zotero). Some long titles are displayed
>> in two lines but they clutter the display as they override other entries
>> because there is not enough vertical space. But this is only valid for some
>> of the titles and they are still too long anyway. In this form timeline is
>> not usable. ( I tried it with the zotero field "short title" but this field
>> is not imported by citeline.)
>
> Interesting point. I'll add this to the todo list.
>
> http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Citeline_Todos
>
> BTW, being a wiki you can do that yourself for future problems you find,
> hint, hint ;-)
Thanks and Yes, I know: RTFM etc. ;-) And thanks as well for putting my
observation into the wiki.

>> 3. In the timeline are non-ascii characters displayed wrongly as {\"a} for
>> instance.
>
> yes, we are aware of that issue (see the todo list above).

Mhhh, I looked it up now, but actually I could not found an entry to this
problem. I can make this entry into the wiki but I wonder if I'm missing or
overlooked something.

>> 4. The timeline is not exported to the hmtl file (but I believe this worked
>> a week ago.)
>
> This works for me here. Remember that you have to set what data fields
> the timeline has to get the data from or it won't work.

I have now a detailed explanation: The different styles work very
differently:

-> The classic style do facets not display.
-> A very strange behaviour has the bookworm style.

The others are ok, I have added screenshot so that can you see for yourself.
All pictures were taken from the same data basis and I have added the clean
style to give an correct example (at least as far as I believe the interface
should look.)

>> Another thing as add to my former mails: Exporting from Zotz results many
>> time in a Javascript Error:
>>
>> edu.mit.simile.babel.bibtex.ParseException: Encountered "<EOF>" at line
>> 1111, column 22.
>> Was expecting one of:
>> "}" ...
>> <WS> ...
>> <WORD> ...
>> "comment" ...
>> "string" ...
>> "preamble" ...
>> <COMMA> ...
>> "#" ...
>
> It would be very helpful if you could export the same collection you
> were using to feed into Citeline as BibTeX and send us that file for us
> to see and evaluate what the problem is. If not, it's really impossible
> to understand if this is a problem on our own end or on Zotero's.

After Zotero has provided a new routine for bibtex export there is no error
message anymore. So it was a problem of Zotero.

But now it is a complete showstopper as *all* non-ascii character do not
translate. (Before one could export und import manually e.g. not via Zotz
and at least the title view translated non ascii correctly (the timeline
view not). I added a screenshot.

I hope this observation will help you
All the best
Peter

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Peter Baumgartner
Danube University Krems / Austria

citeline-classic.png
(image/png attachment: citeline-classic.png)

citeline-bookworm.png
(image/png attachment: citeline-bookworm.png)

citeline-non_ascii.png
(image/png attachment: citeline-non_ascii.png)

citeline-clean.png
(image/png attachment: citeline-clean.png)