Re: AW: AW: Fresnel instance and class lenses and lens specifity function

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:15:37 -0400

Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
> Chris Bizer wrote:
>
> >> Reading the current version of the manual, a terminology consistency
> >> issue arose, but before discussing it I want to close this discussion.
> >> Do you still have concerns/problems/... about this?
>>
>> No, my misunderstanding of FSL. Problem solved.
>
> Before I begin editing the Fresnel Vocab document, there is one
> terminology issue that we need to discuss.
>
> The current version uses lensDomain / instanceLensDomain /
> classFormatDomain / instanceFormatDomain.
>
> This is not very consistent; we should either have:
> lensDomain / instanceLensDomain / formatDomain / instanceFormatDomain
> or:
> classLensDomain / instanceLensDomain / classFormatDomain /
> instanceFormatDomain

I think the complete list of domain properties includes formatDomain:
lensDomain, instanceLensDomain, formatDomain, classFormatDomain,
instanceFormatDomain.

formatDomain expects properties or lists of properties in core. Unless
you were driving home a point just about the resource-type domain
properties, I think it makes your proposal below a bit incomplete.

Maybe propertyFormatDomain?

> But actually, thinking about all this, and considering that we
> eventually agreed that this distinction only makes sense for simple
> selectors, I would like to propose slightly different names (ordered the
> same as above):
> classLensDomain / lensDomain / classFormatDomain / formatDomain
>

> Rationale for this change: as we agreed upon, making the distinction
> between class*Domain and instance*Domain only makes sense for simple
> selectors, but not for FSL/SPARQL. But if we really had to choose
> between instance*Domain and class*Domain for FSL/SPARQL selectors, we
> would choose instance*Domain (that's what we do throughout the manual).
>
> So it is actually better to use the "unqualified" name (i.e.,
> lensDomain/formatDomain) for replacing instance*Domain rather than
> class*Domain. This way we can still make the distinction between class
> and instance domains for simple selectors, and it does not look
> weird/confusing for FSL/SPARQL selectors.
>
> Is that okay with you?

It doesn't quite fit with making the most used terms compact, but it is
more consistent. I can accept that.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327