Re: PiggyBank install feedback

From: Michael McDougall <mcdougall_at_grammatech.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:42:14 -0400

Alf Eaton wrote:

> On 05 Oct 2005, at 08:32, David Huynh wrote:
>
>> OK, I can see that Save? Persist? Publish? sounds a bit like Abort?
>> Retry? Failure? :-) We'll do something about it.
>

> That would be useful - I still have no idea what Persist does, and
> most people probably aren't using Publish, at least at first.

I'll back that up too. I wasn't clear what Persist and Publish do, and
since I was browsing RDF data that is private to my company I was scared
to just press them and see what happened (though I did anyway).

Other comments:

- The metaphor seems a little discontinuous to me. When I click the "RDF
coin" the animation (nice, BTW) shows RDF coins going into a slot--it
looks like the RDF (coin) is being stored in my DB (piggy bank). But
then on the next page I find out this isn't the case--I still need to
save things before the data is *really* stored in my piggy bank. I could
see how people may assume the data is stored in the bank already and
"Save" means save the item to a file.

- Maybe make the "Save All" button more prominent. I've been playing
with Piggy Bank for a couple of days and I just found it. Now that I
found it it's only a click away, but I expect most of my RDF gathering
to be of the form: 1. Click coin, 2. Click "save all", 3. Go back to
browsing. It would be nice if Piggy Bank was optimized for that sequence
of actions (though maybe most users will want to pick and choose what
they save).

- Piggy Bank no longer conflicts with find-as-you-type. Thanks.

Michael