Re: fresnel:*Format

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:17:32 -0400

Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
> Ryan Lee wrote:
>> 1. Allow all *Format properties to be used on a fresnel:Group.
>> These properties will be ordered with respect to properties
>> used on a fresnel:Format as being 'outside' those properties'
>> directives. e.g.,
>>
>> [ a fresnel:Group ;
>> fresnel:propertyFormat [ fresnel:contentBefore "+" ] ] .
>> [ a fresnel:Format ;
>> fresnel:propertyFormatDomain "foaf:knows" ;
>> fresnel:propertyFormat [ fresnel:contentBefore "[ " ;
>> fresnel:contentAfter " ]" ; ]
>> fresnel:labelFormat [ fresnel:contentAfter ":" ] ] .
>>
>> would result in "+ [ knows: ... ] + name ..." in textual form
>> (where ... is some node value).
>
> Ok.
>

>> 2. Mint new term to reflect the difference between dealing with
>> the 'current' position and children for properties. Use
>> fresnel:allPropertiesFormat in conjunction with class- and
>> instanceFormatDomain.
>>
>> Also :allResourcesFormat for :Group? Or even :all*Format
>> exclusively for :Group use? Or 'child' instead of 'all'?
>

> I prefer 'all'.

Ok.

>> 3. Ordering / conflict:
>>
>> - Consider formats dealing with children to be a frame outside
>> of the box, not interfering with the actual box. E.g., an
>> allPropertyFormat on a resource will place its content 'outside'
>> of every property, and if any property has further specific
>> directives from a Format, those contents go inside the
>> allPropertyFormat frame. The two do not influence one another.
>
> I'm not sure I like this idea of having one more box. In my mind,
> all*Format and group-level declarations are just a convenient way of
> declaring formatting properties that apply to many things once and for all.

Without calling it a box, I suppose my proposal is that these things be
additive instead of conflicting directives. The order of addition
relies on the scope of the directive. And in practice, I think the
content* strings will appear on the output as one element, not a set of
nested boxes.

>> - Consider formats for a Group to be the outermost frame around
>> the box. Again, they do not interfere with one another.
>

> Same thing.
>

>> - Only allow one instance of any *Format predicate on a given
>> FormatDescription.
>

> We could. But in that case, should we type format descriptions more
> specifically?

Sure, I can do that in the OWL.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327