Re: Piggy-Bank and rdfx-files (incl. short introduction)

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:31:48 -0500

Svensson, Lars wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <introduction type="short">
> I'm in the Department of the German National Library dealing with
> development (Java) in general and have got the task to find out about
> the Semantic Web, in what way we as a national library can use SW
> technologies, and in what way we can contribute. For a start, I will
> probably come up with all kinds of stupid questions (maybe not all of
> them related to Simile) -- please bear with me!
> I subscribed to this list more than a year ago, but due to some kind of
> work overload stopped reading it around mid-June last year. Now I spent
> the beginning of 2006 catching up with the discussion since. Is it still
> OK to reply to some older threads now?
> </introduction>

Lars,

welcome to the party, make yourself at home. Yes, it's totally ok to
reply to older threads and restart a conversation that you care about.

> Now for a question:
>
> When browsing some rdf-enabled pages and saving bits to Piggy-Bank
> (Piggy-Bank 2.1.1 on Firefox 1.5), I came across seeAlso-references to
> *.xrdf-files (like http://www.aaronsw.com/about.xrdf). When I open the
> file (dereference the URI) I get something looking like a perfectly
> valid foaf-file, but the Piggy-Bank data coin doesn't show up. Im I
> doing something wrong?

No.

> Or is it that the content-type is sent as text/plain?

Piggy Bank looks for the mime type, then (hackily) at the URL extension,
if present. Both mime/type and extension do not identify anything we
know about RDF (the xrdf extension probably means RDF/XML but it's the
first time I see it), therefore we don't show up the coin.

An alternative design would be to show the coin for ever page and then
let the person click on it and get a 'no RDF found" message, which might
be even more annoying.

Suggestions are welcome, of course.