Re: Data quality

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:00:41 -0500

Steven Githens wrote:
> Hello Simile,
>
> Hi everyone, thanks for writing all the code in the Simile svn
> repository, they are really fun projects to play with. We're working on
> a sort of Semantic Syllabus tool for one of our freshmen chemistry
> courses, parts of which may end up just being modified Longwell views.
> The fresnel code looks cool too, but I'm guessing that's still not ready
> for production???

No, we are actively working on it for a demo that we'll present at the
end of the month.

> After reading Stefano's blog entry about merging high quality data sets
> and getting lower quality data sets, I was wondering if anyone could
> give me some pointers about inputing our data, good tools to use for
> doing this, and keeping it useful in the future.

Working on it :-)

For now, to input your data, after you have RDFized it, it's enough to
point longwell2 at it by running the ./longwell.sh command line and
appending the folder name that contains all the .rdf files, longwell
will crawl and fetch those files for you.

> We have a few people that are about to start entering metadata from the
> textbooks we use, like table of contents, which chapters we use, notes
> about them etc, which the idea that future courses can reference them,
> making it easier for students to review previous courses.. etc etc.
>
> I'm still very new to the RDF scene, so any pointers to input tools or
> "down to earth" articles that give examples of using the standard
> vocabularies to do this would be useful.

Transforming existing data from other formats to RDF is far from trivial
and no general tools exist for that purpose.

We have a collection of tools that do RDFization at

  http://simile.mit.edu/RDFizers/

(which I just cleaned up and updated) that should get you started.

And if you find your road bumpy, hold on and don't worry, we are here to
answer your questions.

Hope this helps.