Reading through vocabulary

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:50:48 -0400

I did a quick skim through the latest repository version of the
vocabulary, skipping details for now knowing Emmanuel is working on some
revisions.

1. :myGroup fresnel:stylesheetLink <http://...> .

seems like it should be an optional hint. I don't think I'll be writing
code for Longwell to pick up externally referenced CSS stylesheets. In
keeping with the 'if I say it, do it' razor for core, I think this
should be moved to extended.

2. :labelLens

It was unclear to me during implementation how to interpret a label lens
that's more complex than one property. What happens when something like
the following is submitted to a Fresnel engine?

:foafPersonLabelLens rdf:type fresnel:Lens ;
                      fresnel:purpose fresnel:labelLens ;
                      fresnel:classLensDomain foaf:Person ;
                      fresnel:showProperties ( foaf:name foaf:mbox ) .

Is each implementer going to be left to determine how to concatenate
multiple property values on their own? Multiple values for one property?

Though... does this look reasonable (abbreviated lens)?

:foafPersonLabelLens fresnel:showProperties (
   foaf:name
   [ rdf:type fresnel:PropertyDescription ;
     fresnel:property foaf:mbox ;
     fresnel:valueFormat [
        fresnel:contentBefore "(" ;
        fresnel:contentAfter ")" ;
     ]
) .

If it does, should we include it as an example somewhere?

3. Searching for sublenses

Section 2.5 discusses using FSL to search Fresnel for a sublens. Aside
from being outside of core, this feels like an odd capability since FSL
is normally used to query the data being Fresnel'ed. This raises
questions of consistency. Also, the introspection aspect of using FSL
on Fresnel seems like it would force implementers to consider their
Fresnel information as a navigable RDF model in addition to whatever
else they do with it. They should anyways, but it's... weird.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327